History of the Society

The International Moving Image Society (IMIS) is powered by the British Kinematograph Sound and Television Society.  The BKSTS was originally the ‘London Branch’ of Society of Motion Picture Engineers (now known as SMPTE) until 1930 when it split for various reasons.  It formed as the BKS and began accrediting courses at the London Polytechnic in 1932.  In the 70s the words ‘Sound and Television’ were added to the Society’s name.  Now in 2016 the Society is changing.